The main job of the Labour Department is to ensure cordial relation between employers and employee, to provide job securities, good hygienic conditions and safety measures at work sites, welfare and beneficial wages to workers in time and compensation in case of accidents, medical facilities, provisions for future etc, and thereby to improve Socio-Economic condition of the working class and to bring about industrial peace and harmony which could in turn accelerate productive activity of the country resulting in its prosperity. So far, as many as 18 (eighteen) labour laws have been enforced in the State of Sikkim, which are as under:-
- Bonded Labour System (Abolition) Act, 1976.
- Equal Remuneration Act, 1976
- Inter State Migrant Workmen (Regulation of Employment and Condition of Services) Act, 1979.
- Sikkim Shops and commercial Establishments Act, 1983.
- Workmen’s Compensation Act, 1923.
- Fatal Accidents Act, 1855.
- Employers Liability Act, 1938.
- Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act, 1986..
- Payment of Wages, Act, 1936.
- Employee Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952.
- Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972.
- Building and other construction Workers (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Act, 1996.
- Building and Other construction workers Welfare Case Act, 1996.
- Minimum Wages Act, 1948
- Sikkim Labour Protection Act, 2005.
- Unorganized Workers Social Security Act, 2008
- Apprentice Act, 1961.
- Employees State Insurance Act, 1948.
ACTIVITIES OF DEPARTMENT:
Apart from providing various administrative service supports to the workers, the Labour Department is conducting seminars at major industrial units and construction sites to educate the workers regarding their rights and their duties. Basically, the seminars are on worker education, workers awareness, Welfare, Safety, Hygiene, awareness towards the Provisions of Labour Laws and duties of Workers towards the management and their establishments.
Furthermore, the ITI Rangpo, ITI Namchi and ITI Gyalshing are imparting trainings in various trades as per the guidelines of NCVT and RDAT.